Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Meet & Greet

Welcome to my blog!  This whole blog is dedicated towards my pursuit of a Masters Degree in Teaching and Curriculum at Michigan State University.   Before we dive into the deep thoughts that will undoubtedly come to me over the next two years, I thought I would take a few moments to introduce myself.

My name is Travis Brindley and I am a technology / social studies teacher at a charter school in Detroit's Rivertown-Warehouse district.  I have served in this position for three years now and generally enjoy my work and the profession.  At my school I also developed a soccer program and currently coach.  Before my current position, I was a substitute teacher in South Lyon, MI and Bay City, MI before that.

Education wise, I earned my BA in history from Saginaw Valley State University in 2007.  After a short run in the United States Marine Corps, I returned to Saginaw Valley and completed my teaching certification in 2010.  Finally, I earned a Masters degree in Educational Technology from Michigan State in 2012.

While teaching, coaching and class work take up a large portion of my time, I LOVE what free time I can get.  This time is usually spent with my wife, doing home projects (which I actually enjoy for some sick reason), being active or watching almost any sport (specifically MSU football & basketball).
My Wife & I before a MSU Football game

1 comment:

  1. I'm really interested in the ways that your interdisciplinarity in working with both technology and social studies affects the ways that you think about curriculum and the themes we're looking at this semester. I also think it will be intriguing to learn about your time in the military and the ways in which that does or does not impact how you view the purposes of schooling and what schools should teach :)

    ReplyDelete