Sunday, September 8, 2013

Goals in Education


Prior to reading David Labaree’s, “Public Goods, Private Goods:  The American Struggle Over Educational Goals”, I had never really placed a lot of thought into the idea that your interpretation of education would influence your understanding of its goal.  I guess naively I believed that everyone had roughly the same vision for the purpose of education.  Sure, I understood that people had different methods to achieve that same goal which is the reason why we have charter, private, all-black and online schools but I always believed that all of these structures still held onto the same vision for their students.

Once I began reading this article, I began to realize that I approach education from the democratic equality perspective.  According to Labaree, individuals who look at education from this lens feel that, “a democratic society cannot persist unless it prepares all of its young with equal care to take on the full responsibilities of citizenship in a competent manner” (Pg. 42).  Perhaps this comes from my background as a social studies teacher or my brief experience in the military but I have always felt that it is the schools primary responsibility to make model citizens.  If a student develops the characteristics of a model citizen, I feel that everything else will fall into place.  They will learn the essential skills to become productive members of society and will avoid the “free ride” not only because of the limited financial freedom it provides but because it is the right thing to do.

Additionally, I whole-heartedly agree with Labaree’s goals for education.  He argues that education has desired outcomes with those being, Democratic Equality, Social Efficiency & Social Mobility.  While the varying perspectives of education surprised me, I was not shocked at all by the three desired goals.  It has been taught to us for as long as I can remember that education (as well as a Colt 45) is the great equalizers in American society.  Now it can be argued that American schools and society are coming up short at achieving these goals since inequality runs rampant in our country but it would be a very difficult point to prove that schools aren’t trying for equality.  It is also very obvious to me that schools trying for social efficiency.  We want productive members of society with the basic skills needed to be successful.  Finally, we always showcase students who have risen from lower social standing to great success.  This belief that you can achieve anything you work towards is as fundamentally American as apple pie or the Star Spangled Banner.  We even develop our schools into a system, which progresses students based off their achievements and successes.  You can also argue that the system is developed from the industrial revolution and our schools resemble a factor but that is a whole other rant.

If you are interested in reading more on “The Real Goals for Education”, I suggest following the link below and reading the first chapter of “Big Picture” by Dennis Littky and Samantha Grabelle.  It is written in less of an academic language and focuses more on the goals of the teacher in the classroom than the school system as a whole.  After reading this article, I felt that it closely aligned with my own personal goals towards education.  Check it out HERE.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Travis,
    Hello. After reading your post, I felt very intrigued to respond to because I too “naively believed that everyone had the same vision”. While reading the article, I couldn’t help but question my beliefs, the philosophy of current employer, and wonder what the ultimate goal is for other educators (if it’s not for college and to be more economically stable). So I ask you this question, do you think the way that we are brought up and the experiences we’ve had as an individual determine our beliefs in the goals for a school system? Do you think that determines where we search for employment (subconsciously possibly)? Part of me says “Yes, it does; my high school pushed for college and in my mind there was no other option. That is what people do when they graduated high school. Of course, if you read my blog I can comfortably say that I was first pressured into certain careers (which had to do with economic stability). However, when I think back to my employer, which happens to be a charter school in an urban area, they push college from the start of Kindergarten. I have to say I never saw anything wrong with it until I read the article. I’m not saying I disagree with it now but I question it for sure. You also mentioned the quote from the reading about social efficiency, “We want productive members of society with the basic skills needed to be successful”. I think this is a goal that needs to be obtained. That is why there is a huge push for character education, life skill activities, students being involved in sports and clubs and of course, having a main focus on Math and Reading. How did you feel about the quote in “The Aims of Education” when referring to Plato, it said “for the benefit of the individual, he insisted that education be aimed at improvement of the soul” (Noddings, p. 428). I think this falls into the category of becoming successful and productive, focusing on happiness. When you talked about avoiding the “free ride” and doing it because it was the right thing to do, it hit home personally. The area that I work in has high poverty, the whole school is free and reduced lunch, students and families have lack of food on a daily basis, and many don’t have stable place to sleep at night. So when I push a better life, I’m not saying forget who you are or that money buys happiness, but I am saying if you don’t want to struggle and you want stability, you need to make choices so you can be.

    Thanks,

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen (and Travis),
    Like both of you, and I'm guessing most of us, I also was naive about the vision of education. Maybe as teacher's we just see it as a natural calling and that obviously we all want what is best for our students. However, now that we have focused on the idea it is very clear that parents, teachers, administrators, and others all have various views about what is really "best" for the kids.

    I too also wrote about how I find myself partial to being taught the democratic equality principle, especially with my Social Studies major. However, what is considered "equal." When I read that quote by Labaree my mind automatically thinks of NCLB. As I am assuming you did, since you say it would be hard to prove that we do not do this in the U.S. However, mixing my experience with math, I have a really hard time considering it fair for all of my students to be given the same material all the time. I find that fair should be giving each student what he/she needs. Is this equal treatment because I am willing to give each student this attention? One would think that this would not happen because each student should be at an appropriate grade level yadda yadda, but again I find that I have students that were moved on in early grades because of the pressures created from systems based off of social mobility.

    I find that between the many people that create school policies, procedures, and laws there will never be one purpose to education. In your opinion what would be the perfect "blend" or even perfect focus? Do you think one method might work better than others for certain communities? I work in a small, low income community where I often find that principle ideas of the democratic equality are highly needed because students are lacking in life lessons learned at home. However, a community that is very affluent may benefit more from a system that focuses on social mobility or efficiency.

    I think reading your response has made my mind wander think more than it was before!!
    Thanks,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Travis,
    I enjoyed reading your views on the three outcomes Labaree discusses in his writing. I work in a charter school in inner city Lansing, which as of right now has the highest drop-out rate in the State of Michigan. I teach middle school students and our goal is to prepare them with tools and skills to enable them to attend college. I do feel that all of the outcomes of education are important, but each is important for different students. After reading your post and the articles I feel that our lower level learners are the students who we want to develop the skills to be model citizens as described by the democratic equality perspective. They do not possess the skills to climb the career ladder so they must be model employees to keep their jobs. Our middle of the road academic students are the people who we focus on the social efficiency perspective. They are the people who will develop enough academic skills and also possess the skills to be a productive citizen, but not quite have the competitive edge to get ahead of the top students in their class. Lastly, the high flyers of the class are the students who will be on the social mobility path. They have the skills to climb the social ladder and become the CEO’s of companies, lawyers, doctors etc. The feel the issue with following the democratic equality perspective is that there are a very limited number of jobs available to “good citizens” without advanced skills. The pay for those jobs are also not as much and typically cannot support a family. I am more in agreement with the social efficiency model due to the fact that the students outcome is to be employable and I feel that they will also develop skills to be good citizens as well.
    Sincerely,

    Brian Jensen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how your articulate your belief that students should be taught to be model citizens because if a student knows citizenship traits like responsibility, respect, and productivity, etc. I honestly believe that would make the current atmosphere of education so much better. I know I personally struggle day by day to help my students see that being responsible in my English class means completing your homework/reading and that responsibility will be needed for your future job, or future college classes. But sadly, so many of my students can’t see that connection and I think it is because the lessons of citizenship have been thrown to the wayside in our school. The problem is most of those lessons are taught or classified as social studies—and sometimes they aren’t even taught as a life skill, but as a topic to be studied. It also seems the idea of teaching citizenship has been easily dismissed for the overwhelming list of other things, standards, books, curriculum that we have to get to. I know it won’t solve everything, but I feel our schools need to make citizenship a crucial part of every class curriculum, and every subject.

    Maybe it should be a required part of students’ graduation program?

    Thanks for the insight--it is making me think more about where and how I should teach citizenship more in my own classroom...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ingin mendapatkan penghasilan lebih,dan keuntungannya yang cukup besar, bisa di klik dan mencobanya di sini agen s128
    Dapatkan informasi penting dalam dunia sabung ayam di website bawah ini
    https://sabungburung.tumblr.com/post/176247766541/style-bertanding-ayam-sabung-di-sabung-ayam-s128

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belum Pernah Menang Di Agen Poker Manapun?? Jangan Kecewa..Yuk cobain Donaco Poker...
    Permainan Boleh Sama..Hokinya Beda Boss...

    Dapatkan Juga Tips Bermain Poker Yang Cerdas Disini Tips Cerdas Menang Poker

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dapatkan Jadwal Sabung Ayam S128 Setiap Hari Disini Jadwal S128

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bingung Cari Agen Poker Terpercaya??
    Percayakan Kepada DonacoPoker...
    Agen Profesional Yang Sudah Lama Berkembang...
    Proses Transaksi Yang Cepat dan Aman Dengan Pelayanan Yang Ramah dan Memuaskan..

    Ayo!! Jangan Ngaku Ahlinya Poker Jika Belum Bermain di Donaco Poker.!!

    Segera Bergabung dan Dapatkan Tips-Tips Menang Dari Kami..
    * POKER
    * DOMINO
    * BANDAR CEME
    * CAPSA SUSUN
    * CEME KELILING
    * SUPER TEN
    * OMAHA

    Daftar Sekarang
    DEPOSIT VIA PULSA
    Hubungi Kami Secepatnya Di :
    WHATSAPP : +6281333555662

    ReplyDelete